Re: FreeBSD's problems as seen by the BSDForen.de community

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:13:35 +0100 (CET)
Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > No, not necessarily.  In particular, the BSD license does not
 > > enforce availability of the source to everyone, and it does not
 > > enforce anything else, except that the license may not be removed.
 > >
 > > That's not accidental, it's not a flaw, it doesn't need repair.
 > > It's intended.  And trying to discuss to "repair" that is
 > > completely futile.
 >
 > Just a side question... if it is so complete why was there a need to
 > modify the orginal UCB version?... specifically there is no reason not
 > to discuss improvements.

The modification that happened was to remove restrictions.
What you propose is to add restrictions, which means that
it would be less free.  That's a step backwards and will
not happen.

 > If the root cause of the OP's issues is lack of interest in older code

The OP's posting rather sounds like regression testing and
QA needs to be improved.

 > > > b) Contrary to it's charter -chat_at_ really is nothing except for a
 > > >  flame redirect location (thus as far I can tell almost no one
 > > > reads seriously it)
 > >
 > > That's wrong.  The chat list is being used for things that are
 > > off-topic on the other lists.  Sometimes there are "flames" indeed,
 > > but that's a minority.
 >
 > I subscribe to it and have yet to see anything more then a 50/50 split
 > between real chat (and that is really not approriate for this
 > discussions a list for the legal/business aspects of freebsd would be)
 > and flames

I don't think you're really reading it.  I currently habe
336 threads in my freebsd-chat folder (dating back to Jan
1st 2006; older ones are archived elsewhere on my machine).
In the past three months there was exactly one thread that
was a flamewar.  Your 50/50 number is completely wrong.

In fact there have been more flamewares on -current than
on -chat.  :-)

Best regards
   Oliver

Python is executable pseudocode.  Perl is executable line noise.