Re: FreeBSD's problems as seen by the BSDForen.de community

From: Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 05:18:00 +1100
On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 04:17:07PM +0100, Juergen Dankoweit wrote:
>>> but it simply was ignored or turned down for the reason that it was a "Linux
>>> solution". Especially frustrating for those among us who have never looked at
>>> Linux code.
>>
>> Whats the PR number?
>
>PR-Number: 114597

There's nothing in that PR history that suggests it has been rejected
as a 'Linux solution' and there's no fix included.  There is a patch
that allows individual SCSI adapters to be disabled but that doesn't
really fix anything because the SCSI adapters are still unusable.

I would also suggest that the original PR is fairly devoid of useful
information - there's no indication of the architecture being used,
the model(s) of card that is causing the problem, whether it works
with only one card installed etc.  This required several round-trips
via mjacob before any progress at all could be made.  Lack of
developer time is a serious issue with FreeBSD and the more time that
has to be spent chasing up information that should have been in the
original PR, the less time they have to actually fix the problem.

--
Peter Jeremy