Re: Why the FreeBSD license will not be changing

From: Aryeh M. Friedman <aryeh.friedman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 23:56:17 -0500

Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> "Aryeh Friedman" wrote:
>> On Jan 10, 2008 12:17 PM, Julian Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.org> wrote:
>>> Please Discuss Licensing On chat_at_, Not current_at_ !

>>> This is the mailing list for users of freebsd-current. It
>>> includes warnings about new features coming out in -current
>>> that will affect the users, and instructions on steps that must
>>> be taken to remain -current. Anyone running "current" must
>>> subscribe to this list.

>>> This list contains the overflow from the other lists about
>>> non-technical, social information. It includes discussion about
>>>  whether Jordan looks like a tune ferret or not, whether or not
>>>  to type in capitals, who is drinking too much coffee, where
>>> the best beer is brewed, who is brewing beer in their basement,
>>> and so on. Occasional announcements of important events (such
>>> as upcoming parties, weddings, births, new jobs, etc) can be
>>> made to the technical lists, but the follow ups should be
>>> directed to this list.
>> Small note I have already stated several times in the thread why
>> this is not in -chat_at_
>
> No excuse.  Abuse of current_at_ list remit may annoy people to
> request postmaster_at_ to remove abuser.  Better: - Find another
> forum, perhaps already existing but not on _at_freebsd.org, Or

If the target audience is the freebsd community it would be impossible
with a different forum.

> - Use chat_at_freebsd, Or

Already explained

> - Ask postmaster_at_freebsd to create a list for those who want it,
> eg: law_at_freebsd    remit: "Licensing, Copyright, Law, Software
> Patents"

I have suggested that and most people seem to see no need to for it
thus we are left with inapporiate forums... also if such a forum was
created it should also include business issues (not just legal because
the two are intertwined)

- --
Aryeh M. Friedman
FloSoft Systems, Java Developer Tools.