Re: puc(4) man page update?

From: Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 12:31:41 -0700
On Jul 4, 2008, at 2:59 AM, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:

> doesn't splitting uart out of kernel broke serial console? Last time
> I checked
> it did.

Yes, it does. The serial console is setup/initialized and
used before pre-loaded modules are linked and/or usable.
We don't have the support in place that allows you to boot
without console until pre-loaded modules are initialized,
at which time add a low-level console device is setup.
It's not that hard to do, I think.

So, currently low-level console drivers, such as dcons(4),
sio(4) and uart(4) need to be compiled into the kernel.
Consequently any devices/busses to which any of these can
attach must be compiled into the kernel as well. Of these
acpi(4) and puc(4) are good examples. acpi(4) is a good
example because we use hints to work around the issue and
have sio(4) attach to isa(4) instead...

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt_at_mac.com