Re: Subversion documentation for the FreeBSD project?

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 13:26:49 -0500
On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 08:15:05PM +0200, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> On Tue, 03.06.2008 at 13:28:01 -0400, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
> > At 6:45 PM +0200 6/3/08, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > seems like I totally missed the effort to port the FreeBSD CVS to SVN.
> > > Is there some documentation around, that describes the New Way for us
> > > mere mortals? Specific questions that come to my mind:
> > >
> > > - How will repository propagation be done in the future? rsync?
> > > - Is there one big svn tree or src/ ports/ doc/ seperately?
> > > - Did you fixup the CVS repo-copies into real SVN renames?
> > > - Will svn(1) ever be part of the base system?
> > > - Some statistics about repo-size would be nice :)
> >
> > It is still a work in progress, and people who do not need commit
> > access should (for now) not do anything special.  All the CVS-based
> > services should still be working, and it is probably best to continue
> > to use those for now.  It is still possible that we'll hit some
> > unexpected cases in subversion, and find that we have to switch right
> > back to CVS.
>
> Ok then, no burned bridges yet :)
>
> > Please realize that a LOT of work was involved in making this switch
> > (none of which was done by me... ahem).  So we don't mean to dismiss
> > your request or your interest, but we're just not ready with all the
> > answers that you would like to see.
>
> No problem, I'm not in a hurry and applaud the effort in general. I'm
> only curious why the "switch" (test?) was/is done in "secret" and no
> HEADSUP has been sent so far (or did I miss it?)

Primairly because there is no need for one.  The $FreeBSD$ values will
change (IIRC), but otherwise nothing users need to deal with will
change.  There is a new interface for developers and users will surly
take advantage of it eventually, but for now there are kinks to be
worked out so encouraging wider use wouldn't be productive until we're
certain things are working.

-- Brooks