Re: Subversion documentation for the FreeBSD project?

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 10:50:21 -0700
Please note that I'm not in charge of this project, but I can pass on
a bit of what has been discussed so far.

Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> seems like I totally missed the effort to port the FreeBSD CVS to SVN.
> Is there some documentation around, that describes the New Way for us
> mere mortals?

One of the reasons that there hasn't been any big announcements about
this is that all commits made in the svn repo are being passed
directly into the cvs repo as well, so for at least the near future
(and maybe a bit longer) there is not a New Way yet. All the
cvs/cvsup/csup stuff you're using now will still work, nothing has
been disabled.

> Specific questions that come to my mind:
>
> - How will repository propagation be done in the future? rsync?

That's one possibility. We have a ways to go before decisions are made
about this. rsync and svnsync have both been discussed, there may be
other possibilities as well.

One of the nice things about svn is that for most purposes it's
actually not necessary to mirror the repo locally at all. As someone
who's been doing that for more than 10 years I'm still getting used to
the idea, but it doesn't suck. :)

> - Is there one big svn tree or src/ ports/ doc/ seperately?

src is the only thing that has been migrated "officially" so far. One
crisis at a time please. :)

> - Did you fixup the CVS repo-copies into real SVN renames?

That's been discussed, and there are some ideas, nothing concrete yet.
Peter created a new vendor subtree so that we can experiment with this
a bit without rototilling src/contrib.

> - Will svn(1) ever be part of the base system?

That's not planned at this time. Some of you may have noticed the new
devel/subversion-freebsd port. That port adds some patches that are
specific to accessing the new freebsd src repo, so most users won't
need that yet. When we get farther along the road and we're ready for
users to start accessing some form of svn repo more detailed
instructions will be posted of course.

> - Some statistics about repo-size would be nice :)

My understanding is that the full repo is over 3 gigs. Since in a tree
checked out with svn you have two copies of every file, my new svn src
tree is a little more than 2x my cvs version (1.1G vs. 515M).

I'm sure that others could fill in more details for you, but I thought
it would be good to give some facts to avoid speculation. :)

hth,

Doug