Re: Subversion documentation for the FreeBSD project?

From: Ulrich Spoerlein <uspoerlein_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 20:15:05 +0200
On Tue, 03.06.2008 at 13:28:01 -0400, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
> At 6:45 PM +0200 6/3/08, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > seems like I totally missed the effort to port the FreeBSD CVS to SVN.
> > Is there some documentation around, that describes the New Way for us
> > mere mortals? Specific questions that come to my mind:
> >
> > - How will repository propagation be done in the future? rsync?
> > - Is there one big svn tree or src/ ports/ doc/ seperately?
> > - Did you fixup the CVS repo-copies into real SVN renames?
> > - Will svn(1) ever be part of the base system?
> > - Some statistics about repo-size would be nice :)
>
> It is still a work in progress, and people who do not need commit
> access should (for now) not do anything special.  All the CVS-based
> services should still be working, and it is probably best to continue
> to use those for now.  It is still possible that we'll hit some
> unexpected cases in subversion, and find that we have to switch right
> back to CVS.

Ok then, no burned bridges yet :)

> Please realize that a LOT of work was involved in making this switch
> (none of which was done by me... ahem).  So we don't mean to dismiss
> your request or your interest, but we're just not ready with all the
> answers that you would like to see.

No problem, I'm not in a hurry and applaud the effort in general. I'm
only curious why the "switch" (test?) was/is done in "secret" and no
HEADSUP has been sent so far (or did I miss it?)

I hope people don't mind me dragging the issue out into the open...

Cheers,
Ulrich Spoerlein
--
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool,
than to speak, and remove all doubt.