Re: Subversion documentation for the FreeBSD project?

From: Garance A Drosehn <gad_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 13:28:01 -0400
At 6:45 PM +0200 6/3/08, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>seems like I totally missed the effort to port the FreeBSD CVS to SVN.
>Is there some documentation around, that describes the New Way for us
>mere mortals? Specific questions that come to my mind:
>
>- How will repository propagation be done in the future? rsync?
>- Is there one big svn tree or src/ ports/ doc/ seperately?
>- Did you fixup the CVS repo-copies into real SVN renames?
>- Will svn(1) ever be part of the base system?
>- Some statistics about repo-size would be nice :)

It is still a work in progress, and people who do not need commit
access should (for now) not do anything special.  All the CVS-based
services should still be working, and it is probably best to continue
to use those for now.  It is still possible that we'll hit some
unexpected cases in subversion, and find that we have to switch right
back to CVS.

Not that I expect to switch back to CVS, but the change to subversion
was *JUST* done, and there's still a few rough edges which are not
finished yet.  Give the people working on this a few more weeks to
sort out the details and make sure everything is working OK.  There
is some sketchy documentation of what has happened, it is not good
enough to be much help to end-users.

I will make the guess that more useful information to be available
by the end of June.

Please realize that a LOT of work was involved in making this switch
(none of which was done by me... ahem).  So we don't mean to dismiss
your request or your interest, but we're just not ready with all the
answers that you would like to see.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =               drosehn_at_rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad_at_FreeBSD.org