Re: cs(4) MPSAFE patch

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 01:12:15 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <20080604.001253.1683325662.imp_at_bsdimp.com>
            "M. Warner Losh" <imp_at_bsdimp.com> writes:
: In message: <200805281715.39536.jhb_at_freebsd.org>
:             John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org> writes:
: : I have a patch to make cs(4) MPSAFE.  As with previous patches, ENOHARDWARE.
: : If you care about this driver, test the patch.
: :
: : http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/cs.patch
:
: This patch appears to work for me, but I've not stress tested the
: interface.
:
: I did have to make a bunch of other changes to the driver to fix some
: obvious bogons that got in my way.  These bogons are in the cs driver,
: not in your patches to the cs driver.  I'm flushing those into svn and
: looping back the changes plus your patches to make sure things still
: work.  I'll report more when I know more.  Note: this is PCMCIA card
: only (IBM EtherJet Ethernet PC Card).
:
: I can confirm that your patch still applies after my changes, although
: with a fuzz factor.

Upon further testing, I've discovered that the driver neglects to tear
down the ISR.

http://people.freebsd.org/~imp/cs.patch.new

fixes the problem, but may also have some stray goo in it too.

Note: I'm only able to test 10BaseT at the moment.  10Base2 is
possible with a dongle I have at home, but I have no 10Base2 media.
10Base5 isn't possible for me to test at all.

Note 2: Although I have the ISA version of the EtherJet, I don't think
I have any ISA machines setup for testing.

cs0: <IBM EtherJet PC Card> at port 0xa100-0xa10f irq 20 function 0 config 1 on pccard0
cs0: CS8920M rev F media TP AUI BNC
cs0: failed to enable TP
cs0: failed to enable BNC
cs0: failed to enable AUI
cs0: bpf attached
cs0: Ethernet address: 00:20:35:de:f9:4f
cs0: [MPSAFE]
cs0: [ITHREAD]
cs0: detached

The failed to enable messages are the same as before.  I'm having some
problems with my test setup, which means I'm no longer as sure as I
was before that I actually passed packets with this card....  But that
will have to wait for tomorrow to track down...

Warner