Re: Updated php, and apache segfaults on SIGHUP

From: Sean C. Farley <scf_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 10:02:00 -0500 (CDT)
On Mon, 19 May 2008, Randy Bush wrote:

> 386 very current
>
> i have been unable to get apache not to segv on one server for a while
> now.
>
> i tried the php rebuild
>
> i tried clearing obj, full system build, full ports force rebuild, ...
>
> i just tried
>
>> If you have a backup of php/extensions.ini from before you did your
>> updates, it would be worth trying reverting to that, to get the order
>> you had before that seemed OK.
>
> still coring
>
> but it is nice to know i have company :)

I recall mention on an E-mail list or on IRC of a core dump with PHP due
to improper use of putenv(), but I do not remember where.  Bug #44836[1]
discusses it.  It seems the patch was reverted, but I see that it is
included as a patch within the ports tree.  You could try to see if
things improve by using the older patch[2] for FreeBSD 7 (and above)
systems.

Cc'ing delphij to mention that the patch was reverted in the PHP tree.
Was the patch written for FreeBSD 6?  I noticed that it frees memory
just after the call to putenv().  The is valid for FreeBSD 6 where the
string was duped, but in 7, it follows the POSIX standard of using the
string directly.

Sean
   1. http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=44836
   2. http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/lang/php5/files/patch-ext_standard_basic_functions.c?rev=1.1;content-type=text%2Fplain