Re: Unicode-based FreeBSD

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:42:29 +0200
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:28:58 +0300,
"Alexander Churanov" <alexanderchuranov_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps you'd like to work on this in perforce? :-)
>
> Probably, but what's about status reports, documentation, etc? The
> main idea is to get experienced users involved.

Status reports would be nice to have too, but that means you or the
people who work on the code have to write them.  I think a periodic
email to freebsd-current could work fine :)

As for getting experienced syscons people to work on your Perforce
branch, that's one of the reasons Philip asked you about it.  Seeing the
commits fly by, other Perforce using people will "notice" the work you
are doing.  This may be easier than having to poll a web page, or check
a remote repository in a custom hosting site.

> I mean people who do not work on syscons, but are able to apply
> patches and experiment with features.  Additionally I am not familiar
> with perforce. However, if that is similar to CVS and svn - then it
> would work for me.

It is quite similar to svn, and it's the repository where we can give
access to FreeBSD contributors who want an easy way to resync with the
latest commits, and keep working in their own private branches.

There are, of course, certain differences in the names or the usage
pattern of some commands you may know from Subversion, but the main idea
of splitting a "namespace" in subdirectories of sandbox-nature and
working in each subdirectory as a separate branch is exactly the same.
This is usually nice to get you bootstrapped with a personal branch, and
with a bit of command-line help it should be easy to start going.

Philip can help you with the account creation part.  Once you are set up
with a Perforce account, please feel free to ask about using it.  The
Perforce admins and other FreeBSD team members who have worked with it
will be there to answer any questions you have about using it.

Last, but not least, thanks for working to make FreeBSD nicer to use
with UTF-8! :-)