Re: regression in HDA functionality

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 09:44:38 +0930
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008, Alexander Motin wrote:
> If you think that driver should have some additional logic in
> handling of such cases - describe it please. I don't see why driver
> should not use digital outputs or how independent soundcards should
> be ordered (actually it is not driver's business to enumerate
> soundcards).
>
> If you think that driver is not documented good, please feel free to
> fix. I am not a native speaker, sorry. I did all I can.

It seems that a lot of new systems now have multiple sound outputs
(because they use HDA) so there needs to be some way to elect a default
sound output (override by sysctl of course :)

eg selecting the HDMI output is pointless if there is no HDMI link
active (can you detect HDMI status?)

Maybe devd can be fed events in some way? I don't know if it's possible
but if the HDA driver could detect jack status (ie if something is
plugged in) then it would be fairly straightforward to write a script
to switch output when the user plugged in headphones.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum