Re: regression in HDA functionality

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 01:30:13 +0300
Joel Dahl wrote:
> Alexander Motin wrote:
>> Gary Jennejohn wrote:
>>  > With the old kernel it just works.
>>
>> Old kernel just was unable to support even a half of that what new one
>> can. There was no SPDIF/HDMI, was no multi codec and multi device
>> support, often was no recording.
>
> But basic stuff like speakers and plugging in headphones "just worked"
> with the old driver.  Your new driver may support much, much more
> features, but we've seen an alarming numbers of complaints about basic
> functionality being broken now (with the new driver).

Functionality is not broken! It has just changed and that change is
cleanly shown in manual:
   According to HDA and UAA specifications, depending on number of HDA
buses and codecs present in system, their audio capabilities and BIOS
provided configuration, the snd_hda driver often provides several PCM
audio devices.

The only I can add is a hint to use hw.snd.default_unit sysctl.

> Oh, and I'm not trying to flame your work.  It's great that we have
> someone that takes care of this code, but I just can't help but think
> that this driver should have gone through a few more iterations of
> testing before entering the tree.

Please don't. In two weeks since this code entered the tree (CURRENT)
there was only one complain about real driver bug. All others were
results of or BIOS's codec misconfiguration (which could be fixed with
documented device hints) or user's misunderstanding.

In this specific case man has actually TWO sound cards in system: one
with HDMI output and another with set of connectors on motherboard.
Driver itself worked perfectly! It is not a driver problem that video
card's codec was detected first by PCI bus while it's HDMI output is not
connected!

If you think that driver should have some additional logic in handling
of such cases - describe it please. I don't see why driver should not
use digital outputs or how independent soundcards should be ordered
(actually it is not driver's business to enumerate soundcards).

If you think that driver is not documented good, please feel free to
fix. I am not a native speaker, sorry. I did all I can.

--
Alexander Motin