Re: regression in HDA functionality

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 18:42:02 -0700
On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 11:52:16PM +0200, Joel Dahl wrote:
> Alexander Motin wrote:
> >Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> > > With the old kernel it just works.
> >
> >Old kernel just was unable to support even a half of that what new one
> >can. There was no SPDIF/HDMI, was no multi codec and multi device
> >support, often was no recording.
>
> But basic stuff like speakers and plugging in headphones "just worked"
> with the old driver.

There are several PR's against the older driver.  These PR were
neglected and are still neglected.

> Your new driver may support much, much more
> features, but we've seen an alarming numbers of complaints about basic
> functionality being broken now (with the new driver).

There were just as many against the old driver.  You didn't notice
because you were one of the fortunate users.

> Oh, and I'm not trying to flame your work.  It's great that we have
> someone that takes care of this code, but I just can't help but think
> that this driver should have gone through a few more iterations of
> testing before entering the tree.

I don't agree with your position.  I'll also note that neither the
old driver nor the new driver work with my hardware.  The difference
is that Alexander has been quite helpful in providing help in debugging
the problems with the new driver.

--
Steve