Re: regression in HDA functionality

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 11:12:35 +0300
Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> In this specific case man has actually TWO sound cards in system: one
>> with HDMI output and another with set of connectors on motherboard.
>> Driver itself worked perfectly! It is not a driver problem that video
>> card's codec was detected first by PCI bus while it's HDMI output is
>> not connected!
>>
>> If you think that driver should have some additional logic in handling
>> of such cases - describe it please. I don't see why driver should not
>> use digital outputs or how independent soundcards should be ordered
>> (actually it is not driver's business to enumerate soundcards).
>
> Can you change the order of pcm devices from one soundcard? I understand
> that you can not change the PCI probe order, but maybe the order of
> pcm1-3 if pcm1-3 are on the same hardware.

Generally it is possible.

> If this is possible, it may be better to have the pcm device first which
> is most likely used.

Usually present way is correct enough. Even in this case, if not a HDMI
port, pcm0 would be the main rear audio port, pcm1 - auxiliary front
headphones port and pcm2 digital I/O. So it is hard to manage better.
One more interesting possible option here is to make headphones
connector to redirect main output. Driver and codec allow it. But it is
completely depends on codec configuration. If hardware vendor preferred
not to configure it, why driver should try to be clever?

The only thing driver could do, but not doing now is differentiating
digital and analog devices, so in some situation may happen that pcm1
playback is analog, while record is digital. But it is surely not
requirement, but more like pleasant feature I think.

--
Alexander Motin