Re: regression in HDA functionality

From: Gary Jennejohn <gary.jennejohn_at_freenet.de>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 11:03:44 +0200
On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 11:12:35 +0300
Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> >> In this specific case man has actually TWO sound cards in system: one
> >> with HDMI output and another with set of connectors on motherboard.
> >> Driver itself worked perfectly! It is not a driver problem that video
> >> card's codec was detected first by PCI bus while it's HDMI output is
> >> not connected!
> >>
> >> If you think that driver should have some additional logic in handling
> >> of such cases - describe it please. I don't see why driver should not
> >> use digital outputs or how independent soundcards should be ordered
> >> (actually it is not driver's business to enumerate soundcards).
> >
> > Can you change the order of pcm devices from one soundcard? I understand
> > that you can not change the PCI probe order, but maybe the order of
> > pcm1-3 if pcm1-3 are on the same hardware.
>
> Generally it is possible.

I think that in my case there's more to it than just the new HDA driver,
but I might be wrong.

With GENERIC from the 200809 snap HDMI was discovered _after_ the other
devices, i.e. it was pcm1.  With the new kernel the discovery order
was reversed, which seems to have led to my problems.

---
Gary Jennejohn