Re: xorg loops

From: Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 13:41:17 -0500
On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 15:38 +0200, Alex Dupre wrote:
> Robert Noland ha scritto:
> > hald should work fine with moused now.
>
> As you wrote in the UPDATING:
>
> "Use of AllowEmptyInput should no longer
>   be needed for most users and moused should now work fine."
>
> I think "most" != "all" users, in fact my current up-to-date workstation
> still needs AllowEmptyInput to work. hal-device doesn't list any mouse
> at all. Is there anything I can do to help improving the situation?

The root of the issue is that there are just too many ways to configure
input devices... Particularly mice.  Marcus, jkim and I have tried to
make accommodations for all of the cases, but it gets rather tricky.
Users can have mice configured using psm0, ums0, (serial even), moused
and we have to be able to figure out if they are statically configured
in X or not, based on whether or not X has already opened one of the
file descriptors.  Based on analyzing all of that, we decide whether or
not to advertise to X that it should attach the device.

If you are using moused, then hald *should* recognize that and
advertise /dev/sysmouse to X.  Additional input devices, get added via
moused and hald knows that /dev/sysmouse is already opened by X, so it
shouldn't re-advertise the same port again.

We desperately need to simplify our input layer, but I'm not certain
exactly what the right answer is.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>