Re: powerd and nvidia drivers not playing nicely together (Was: Re: Systems running hot?)

From: b. f. <bf1783_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 19:18:13 -0500
>no X! So I think to myself, what else did I change last night.... oh
>yeah, powerd! So I turn that off, and voila, X!

Do you really mean powerd(8)? Or the separate /etc/rc.d/power_profile
?  There was some confusion between the two earlier in this thread.
What related settings are you using, via {rc,sysctl,loader}.conf?
Which power-governing drivers are active on your machine: est? ichss?
smist? p4tcc? acpi_perf? acpi_throttle? acpi_thermal? acpi_video?
Which nvidia driver?  If you compile your kernel with options
ACPI_DEBUG, and enable acpi debugging messages, do you see any
errors/problems?

b.