Re: g95 as a system fortran compiler?

From: Anton Shterenlikht <mexas_at_bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 20:50:50 +0000
On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 10:24:37AM -0800, Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 11:46:19AM +0000, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> >
> > I understand that gfortran is not an ideal choice for
> > many reasons, not least that it doesn't build on ia64.
>
> Do you have any details to support this claim (other than
> the fact that you can't get gcc to build on ia64)?

I meant all the talk (most of which is way above my head)
about gcc backend being far from ideal. llvm/clang are often
mentioned as long term alternatives. I'm just repeating
what I've picked up from various mailing lists.

> You left out the dependency that it uses gcc-4.0.3 as it's
> base gcc.

yes, forgot about this..

> Install the g95 port and be done with it.

the problem is that gfortran44 is the default (ports/Mk/bsd.gcc.mk).
So if it doesn't build on my system, I can't get lots of
other ports. I'm not sure changing it for g95 is a good idea.

> PS:  Guess who is an active gfortran developer?

I see.. as I said, I apologise if I'm talking nosense.

Thanks for your time anyway. (I noted your reply to my
gcc bugzilla entry).

anton

--
Anton Shterenlikht