Re: powerd and nvidia drivers not playing nicely together (Was: Re: Systems running hot?)

From: b. f. <bf1783_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 18:16:55 -0500
On 12/21/09, Doug Barton <dougb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> b. f. wrote:
>>> no X! So I think to myself, what else did I change last night.... oh

>> acpi_perf? acpi_throttle? acpi_thermal? acpi_video?
>
> I haven't done anything special with the acpi stuff. The only thing
> that looks relevant from dmesg is: acpi_tz0: <Thermal Zone> on acpi0

Yes, but which components show up in 'sysctl -a | grep -ie acpi' ?

>> Which nvidia driver?
>
> The latest.

Which video card? Is your card using agp(4)?

>> If you compile your kernel with options
>> ACPI_DEBUG, and enable acpi debugging messages, do you see any
>> errors/problems?
>
> I can do the former easily enough, I assume to enable them I set
> debug.acpi.disabled=0 in loader.conf?

No, that's for selectively disabling some parts of ACPI, as described
in acpi(4).  For starters, try:

debug.acpi.layer="ACPI_ALL_COMPONENTS ACPI_ALL_DRIVERS"
debug.acpi.level="ACPI_LV_ALL_EXCEPTIONS"