Re: HEADSUP usb2/usb4bsd to become default in GENERIC

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 08:19:01 -0700 (MST)
Doesn't the busdma issue need to be solved before we do this?  usb2
currently doesn't work if you have memory above 4GB due to this
issue.  I thought we tagged it as a show stopper for making it the
default.

Warner

In message: <20090206045349.GQ78804_at_elvis.mu.org>
            Alfred Perlstein <alfred_at_freebsd.org> writes:
: Hello -current and -usb.
:
: We are in the final stages of bringing in the new usb
: stack.
:
: Features include: SMP, better device support, speed increases.
:
: We hope to make it in for 8.0.  It will really take a unified effort
: to make this all work and I look forward to all contributors input.
:
: We have a few large steps ahead of us and I wanted to lay out the
: schedule so that people understand what is coming and what to expect.
:
: At this point we expect there to be no style or changes in usb2
: that are not bugfixes until Phase 3 "Hand off".  The reason for
: this is to prevent bugs from creeping in and allow the maintainer
: to focus 100% on bugs and feature parity with the oldusb stack.
:
: Here is the plan and timeline:
:
: Phase 1) Make usb2 the default, by enabling it in GENERIC.
:
:     * Sunday 8 Feb 2009  -- Toggle the usb2 knob in GENERIC
:
:       - Add all the usb2 options to NOTES, including commented
:         documentation about recommended usb2 'sets' of options,
:         and the usual NOTES-based hints about the options.
:
:       - Update GENERIC to use usb2 device names.
:
:       - Bump __FreeBSD_version and edit UPDATING to note usb2 is now the
:         default.
:
:       - Verify that it still possible to use the old usb code as a
:         fallback, until we are ready to detach and remove it from /head
:
:     * Sunday 22 Feb 2009 -- Go through quirks in old-usb code and port
:       over any remaining bits to usb2
:
:       - Lock the oldusb code for 2 weeks, until the next usb2
:         checkpoint, to verify usb2 is a viable replacement without
:         having to keep chasing a moving oldusb target.
:
: Phase 2) Removing the oldusb code.
:
:     * Sunday 15 Mar 2009 -- usb2 bug busting weekend
:
:       - Go through the open usb2 problem reports, and see if there are
:         any usb2 blocker bugs that need fixing.
:
:       - If the bug hunt shows we are ready to do away with oldusb,
:         unlink the old usb code from the build, but leave it in for
:         a few more days.
:
:     * Sunday 22 Mar 2009 -- remove oldusb code.
:
:       - old usb code will be removed.
:
: Phase 3) Hand-off.
:
:     * Sunday 29 Mar 2009 -- usb2 hand over to src-committers
:
:       - The switch from a private Hans-only repository to the main
:         subversion tree.
:
:       - At this point, the usb2 is handed over to the src-committers
:         and Hans has to go through a mentor/committer before committing
: 	changes.
:
: Thank you!
:
: --
: - Alfred Perlstein
: freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org mailing list
: http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-current
: To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-current-unsubscribe_at_freebsd.org"
: