Re: 8.0-BETA1 bsdlabel broken?

From: Eygene Ryabinkin <rea-fbsd_at_codelabs.ru>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 02:22:52 +0400
Aragon, good day.

Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 12:13:19AM +0200, Aragon Gouveia wrote:
> Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> > Please, try the attached patch -- it should heal bsdlabel and it will
> > show/use the proper offsets everywhere.  Works fine for me -- offsets
> > for 7.x and 8.x are the same.
>
> I've seen the reported problem on my BETA1 systems too.  I've also
> noticed this in my bootup dmesg:
>
> GEOM: ad4s2: geometry does not match label (255h,63s != 16h,63s).

Different and mostly harmful (as per UPDATING, 20090320) problem.

> These systems were partitioned and installed using BETA1's sysinstall.
>
> Out of curiosity I repartitioned and reinstalled fresh from a
> 7.2-RELEASE CD.  No GEOM warning, and bsdlabel didn't complain.

bsdlabel is run on the 7.x, I suppose.  That's expected that it will
be consistent with sysinstall.

> I extracted the 8.0-BETA1 kernel from CD and booted that in single user
> mode.  The GEOM warning above didn't occur, but (7.2's) bsdlabel
> complained in the same way.
>
> Is it possible sysinstall is a culprit in all this?

No, the problem is that bsdlabel is missing the so-called "MBR offset"
from GEOM, because in 8.x GEOM_PART_* are used and they have no such
geom verb (and anyway, 8.x's bsdlabel queries BSD geoms for it, not the
PART_BSD ones).  You'll need to patch bsdlabel (on 8.x) with the patch I
had posted to this thread earlier today (and expanded patch, that should
not make a difference for your setup, will be posted a bit later).

If you'll happen to test the patch, please, report back.
--
Eygene