Re: ZFS pool corrupted on upgrade of -current (probably sata renaming)

From: Chris Hedley <freebsd-current_at_chrishedley.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 22:42:04 +0100 (BST)
On Wed, 15 Jul 2009, Peter Schuller wrote:

> While I can see this working "most of the time" - is there any reason
> to believe it is guaranteed to? glabel keeps meta data at the end of
> the device; is it guaranteed that ZFS is not using that part of the
> device actively? (For example by having a policy to reserve some
> amount at the end.)

I think that would be my worry; I did wonder about trying the same with my
own installation, but even if it were possible (or advisable for other
reasons; I'm not sure it is in either case) I am worried that at some
point something or other might want to use that last block with
interesting consequences.

I've just been having fun and games moving over to the gpart scheme and
having to remember to include an extra block to keep the label
information, since gmirror forbids me to add a labeled partition due to it
being too small (in which case maybe ZFS doesn't use the full partition if
it allows it to be re-added even though it's shrunk by a block)... but I'm
going to rebuild my ZFS array from scratch.

Chris.