Re: ZFS pool corrupted on upgrade of -current (probably sata renaming)

From: Chris Hedley <freebsd-current_at_chrishedley.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 22:37:53 +0100 (BST)
On Wed, 15 Jul 2009, Kamigishi Rei wrote:
> There was another step you could take to recover your array safely.
> Right after that upgrade after witnessing the problem, boot back into
> kernel.old in single user mode and doing
> /etc/rc.d/zfs start
> zpool export poolname
>
> and then rebooting into normal kernel in single user mode again and doing
>
> /etc/rc.d/zfs start
> zpool import poolname
>
> That's how I solved it when I moved from adXX to adaXX device names.
>
> Actually, just to be sure, I export pools for every update that touches
> ata/ahci modules.

I think that probably is good practise; I'm not sure it would've avoided
my problem due to the re-use of the same drive names for different drives
between the old and new naming schemes, which is what seems to have caused
the upset, but that said, it probably is a good habit to get into, from
what I understand.

Thanks,

Chris