Re: gptzfsboot doesn't like change (failure after swapping drives)

From: Paul Wootton <paul_at_fletchermoorland.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 17:02:20 +0100
Stefan Bethke wrote:
> Am 23.07.2009 um 04:37 schrieb George Hartzell:
>
>> I've been playing around with building an 8.0BETA2 system with
>> everything on a single zfs filesystem (I'll get fancier later) on a
>> zpool that is a 4 disk raidz.
>
> Quite a few people had no luck with booting from RAIDZ volumes at
> all.  (Single disks and mirrors seem to work fine.)  See this thread:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2009-July/006466.html
>

> Stefan

I've been trying on and off for a few months now to get a raidz pack to
boot and a few days ago finally got a working setup.

I have a 3 disk raidz pack. I've only set zfs_load="YES" in
/boot/loader.conf. All the mountpoints are set to none and I am using
/etc/fstab instead. I have the root of the working filing system as a
zfs volume, and not in the base of the pool

zboot         7.31G   201G    18K  none  (this never gets mounted)
zboot/root    65.4M   201G  65.4M  none  (this gets mounted as /)
zboot/tmp       27K   201G    27K  none  (this gets mounted as /tmp)
zboot/usr     7.21G   201G  7.21G  none  (this gets mounted as /usr)
zboot/var     35.4M   201G  35.4M  none  (this gets mounted as /var)

Paul

Fletcher Moorland Limited is a company registered in England and Wales.
Registration number: 2984467.
Registered office: Elenora Street, Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, ST4 1QG.
VAT Registration number: 478730606
Telephone: 01782 411021 | Fax: 01782 744470 | http://www.fletchermoorland.co.uk