Re: gptzfsboot doesn't like change (failure after swapping drives)

From: George Hartzell <hartzell_at_alerce.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:40:37 -0700
Paul Wootton writes:
 > Stefan Bethke wrote:
 > > Am 23.07.2009 um 04:37 schrieb George Hartzell:
 > >
 > >> I've been playing around with building an 8.0BETA2 system with
 > >> everything on a single zfs filesystem (I'll get fancier later) on a
 > >> zpool that is a 4 disk raidz.
 > >
 > > Quite a few people had no luck with booting from RAIDZ volumes at
 > > all.  (Single disks and mirrors seem to work fine.)  See this thread:
 > > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2009-July/006466.html
 > >

 > > Stefan
 > >
 > I've been trying on and off for a few months now to get a raidz pack to
 > boot and a few days ago finally got a working setup.
 >
 > I have a 3 disk raidz pack. I've only set zfs_load="YES" in
 > /boot/loader.conf. All the mountpoints are set to none and I am using
 > /etc/fstab instead. I have the root of the working filing system as a
 > zfs volume, and not in the base of the pool
 >
 > zboot         7.31G   201G    18K  none  (this never gets mounted)
 > zboot/root    65.4M   201G  65.4M  none  (this gets mounted as /)
 > zboot/tmp       27K   201G    27K  none  (this gets mounted as /tmp)
 > zboot/usr     7.21G   201G  7.21G  none  (this gets mounted as /usr)
 > zboot/var     35.4M   201G  35.4M  none  (this gets mounted as /var)

If you don't have any important data on it, and don't mind having to
recreate it, it'd be interesting to try to boot it with one drive
pulled.

I'll bet that you can't, even though you'll be able to see the pool if
you boot from some fixit media.

I'll also bet that you still won't be able to boot once you reinsert
the drive.

g.