Re: RFC: localized libc messages

From: Rene Ladan <rene_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 23:17:46 +0100
Gábor Kövesdán schreef:
> Rene Ladan escribió:
>> Gábor Kövesdán schreef:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> There has been NLS support in our libc implementation for a long
>>> time, but it has been disabled because of some initial problems with
>>> NLS. (I don't know the exact explanation, I've just looked up the
>>> mail archives.) Now, I've made a patch to re-enable it and I've
>>> tested this stuff. It seems to be working without any problems on
>>> 7.X. I haven't had any opportunity to try it out on -CURRENT, but
>>> I've made available the patch for 8-CURRENT. It turns NLS on and adds
>>> some new catalog files.
>>
>> I've put a slightly different patch (some improvements to the Dutch
>> translation) at http://people.freebsd.org/~rene/patches/nls-r189223.diff
>>
>> It works fine on CURRENT after adding the appropriate stuff to
>> ~/.login_conf.
>>
>> The only problem is that during buildworld, the temporary directories for
>> storing the translations are not created.  I had to create them manually,
>> and continue the build with the NO_CLEAN flag (to prevent them getting
>> deleted again).
> Yes, I was going to commit the patch yesterday but I realized this
> problem and haven't yet found the fix. If there's someone skilled at
> bsd.*.mk, some help would be appreciatied. :)

I had a quick look at src/share/mk/bsd.nls.mk and lib/libc/nls/Makefile.inc
The latter seems ok to me, can the problem be in bsd.nls.mk (e.g. that it has
to create the directories somewhere in the installation rules)?
bsd.nls.mk first does some name mangling in the installation step and then
adds the mangled NLS stuff to the SYMLINKS variable, i.e. create the appropriate
symbolic links.  But it indeed doesn't seem to create directories.

Regards,
Rene

--
http://www.rene-ladan.nl/

GPG fingerprint = ADBC ECCD EB5F A6B4 549F  600D 8C9E 647A E564 2BFC (subkeys.pgp.net)