Re: First keypresses after boot being discarded

From: Skip Ford <skip_at_menantico.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 20:59:44 -0400
Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Ed Schouten wrote:
> >People also reported issues to me where the first keypresses after the
> >system has booted are discarded. I have yet to be convinced this is a
> >TTY issue, not the keyboard code, interrupt handling, etc.
>
> I've seen this, and might be able to offer some more information.  I
> booted 8.0-BETA2 from the same hard drive install on about 15 machines,
> and saw this problem on four of them, all identical motherboards.

I've run into a very similar-sounding problem, but not since 7.0-RELEASE.
One machine would appear to hang at the initial login prompt, nothing
typed is echoed.  However, a soft reset would then cause whatever was
typed at the prompt to finally be displayed before the shutdown messages
would be displayed.

This would happen possibly 4 out of 10 times on one machine only
whenever it included both SCHED_ULE and kbdmux(4).  It never happened
with SCHED_4BSD and kbdmux(4), as 7.0 shipped, and it never happened with
SCHED_ULE only.

So, I had to remove kbdmux(4) to use SCHED_ULE instead of SCHED_4BSD in
7.0 to avoid that intermittent problem just on that one machine.

--
Skip