Re: Funding ODD support

From: Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer_at_omnilan.de>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 22:21:45 +0200
Carlos A. M. dos Santos schrieb am 07.09.2009 16:32 (localtime):
> On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 1:43 AM, Harald
> Schmalzbauer<h.schmalzbauer_at_omnilan.de> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm looking for somebody who has time and knowledge to fix ODD support in
>> FreeBSD.
> [...]
>
> I'm not sure if such work should be funded by a separate bounty or by
> the FreeBSD foundation. Anyway, I would happily donate some money for
> improvements on the CD/DVD writing support. I'd like to see either an
> improved version of burncd or some new tool provided by the base
> system.

I haven't done any "official application" because of my felt severity yet.
For a long term project the FreeBSD foundation was the better way, I think.
But I hoped somebody would be able to fix it before 8.0-RELEASE, which
is not too far away.
I just got one more reply from another fellow willing to donate for
fixing ODD support, but no reply from any coder yet...

All in all, not much response.
It seems the ones using ODDs are considering the problems as quiet
severe, but it also seems there are not many fellows missing working ODD
support.
Is the media itself really outdated? I haven't done any blu-ray
experiments under FreeBSD yet, but I can't imagine things are working
better with that media.

So for now the pot is about 500 bucks.
Anyone to pick up?

Regards,