Re: v9.0 treating me very well

From: Bill Squire {billsf} <billsf_at_cuba.calyx.nl>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 20:45:50 +0200
On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 10:52:18AM -0700, Jakub Lach wrote:

> Bill Squire {billsf} wrote:
> >

> > Hi current-users,
> >
> > Surely we want v8.0 to work right, but many of the complaints I see have

> > v9.0 so if you have these try it out. I use balanced audio and have really
> > decent speakers -- You know if you read my previous posts.
> >
> > Bill Squire

> Hello..
>
> Maybe I should not reply, but curiosity got the better of me...
>
> What were you trying to communicate? What is the main thought
> beneath phrasing?

Except for a stop in /cddl/ which involves a 'removed from source header file'
9.0 builds. Using this list I know how to move on. As far as the stop -- ignore
it! Everything else seems to __build__ and all that I can test seems to work.

> >Surely we want v8.0 to work right, but many of the complaints I see have
> >already been fixed in v9.0

> This is why we have MFC, and CURRENT in managed in somehow close state
> to STABLE prior to RELEASE.

Its not mine either but a release is important but I prefer the 'bleading
edge'. Yes, I have some gripes but not a big deal. Silly obvious little
things. If you have ports -- rebuild as many as you care about -- Sometimes,
usually that is, you can cheat by putting a new .so. in /usr/lib/compat and
call it the old lib. I said usually works and ignore conflict warnings.

BTW: How do I use the 'new' loader. I use last week's and it works fine. Also
almost all modules needed are loaded automatically by acript that used kldload
since I believe the kernel would otherwise panic. (It does on 7.2) when you
build a minimal kernel and pre-load all the modules. Let /etc/rc automatically
load as many as you can.

> >Its not my call (no way will use a Generic kernel)

> ? (I fail to see connection.)
>
> >I put multiple base-installs on
> >flash ROM drives.

That is so I can allways go back. I test the rebuilding every week and "don't
trust" a loader with a "buffer overflow" bug. Also I've grown tolike my way
of 'loading'and have received no complaints from "commercial users". Its just
easier because I knowmy own way better. Yes, the last update broke many ports.
Updating helps in most cases. Ports aren't really my thing because people will
say I have a bad Makefile nomatter how good it is.

> You see flash drives as  EEPROM, ok but I again
> fail to see connection.

> >PS: The low-cost (and best sounding) USB chips work out of the box, now on
> >v9.0 so if you have these try it out.

Yes, but get the datasheet of the chip and use the proper values. If you have
professional audio you should build a single ended to differential output
stage. If you don't understand this, just try one,particularly if it is a
C-Media device. They work __better__ than any "HiFi" solution I've spent
money on only to get a Windows driver and have to get the specs and build my
own driver only to find out it won't handle even 16bits worth of audio. The
hda chips aren't bad for motion pictures. (Hint: Dolby doesn't enhance your
music anymore -- It does make violence much more realistic -- (warning).)

> Something changed after branching 8-STABLE from 8-CURRENT? I doubt it.
> Ariff work is nonetheless excellent.
>
> >I refuse to advertise then, particularly since they have discontinued that
> >model. Hint: Its a place close to namesake of this server I'm using.
>
> Why such choose of words? You want to recommend something
> or rather not? The only reccomentation is C-Media blows Intel/Realtech out
of the water if music is important for you. PC speakers work with any sound
card.

> >I use balanced audio and have really
> >decent speakers -- You know if you read my previous posts
>
> It's nice to have nice speakers.

That's the secret for the most part, but I'll never use commercial software
for audio again. This USB stuff sounds great.

> -best regards,
> Jakub Lach

Good luck with your sound and use of FreeBSD to acheive it. Don't use "windows"
(stolen from X-Windows) can I not reccomend some system?