Re: Various problems seen in RC1 (was: Re: tmux(1) in base)

From: Tony McC <afmcc_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 12:38:05 +0100
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:17:56 +0100 (BST)
Gavin Atkinson <gavin_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> ACPI support seems to work very well: I can't remember the last time
> I personally saw a system that had issues which mattered.
> Regardless, have you reported these problems?  I know about the
> bge(4) problems on resume, but it doesn't look like anybody has
> reported the atapicam panic (which, by the way, doesn't panic for
> me), and without a PR for the ACPI problems, that's unlikely to get
> fixed too.
>
> If you are seriously seeing these problems, the solution is to report
> them, and provide enough information so that they stand a chance of
> being fixed before -RC2.

Ok, can I please draw your attention to my message of a few days ago,
with Subject: "Internal DVD drive not recognised and ACPI error messages
at boot."  I see error messages like the following at boot time:

acpi0: reservation of fee00000, 1000 (3) failed
acpi0: reservation of 0, a0000 (3) failed
acpi0: reservation of 100000, cff00000 (3) failed

and my internal DVD drive is just not recognised.  I included a verbose
boot log and a kernel config file in the earlier message.  So far there
have been no responses to that message.

Please don't get me wrong.  I am not impatient, I am not demanding
that someone fix my computer, and I realise that the developers of
FreeBSD give their time and I am hugely grateful for that.  I just
thought I ought to respond to your assertion that there are no problems
that matter.  I don't know whether or not the acpi problems are causing
the DVD drive to be ignored, but at least I have reported it so, as you
say, hopefully it can be looked at before -RC2.

Best wishes,
Tony