Re: ZFS will gone,FreeBSD will import btrfs?

From: Astrodog <astrodog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 11:35:52 -0500
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Olivier Smedts <olivier_at_gid0.org> wrote:
> 2010/8/17 Mark Linimon <linimon_at_lonesome.com>:
>> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:21:07PM +0800, lhmwzy wrote:
>>> opensolaris is gone
>>
>> It appears there will be a fork, but that's not particularly crucial
>> to FreeBSD.
>>
>>> ZFS also gone.
>
> OpenSolaris is gone, Oracle won't make any OpenSolaris release but
> they're still working on Solaris (and maybe ZFS).
>
> But did they close the sources too ? I mean, they have a VCS, can we
> still access it and download the ZFS source files ? Did they also
> relicense them ?
> As for btrfs, don't forget it's GPL, and still not production-ready.
> ZFS has a proven reliability, if Oracle drops it because they have
> btrfs, I'll be very angry...
>
>> We're not going to drop ZFS because Oracle's plans are unclear.  It
>> remains to be seen how much other community support there is behind ZFS.
>>
>>> Will FreeBSD import btrfs or other similar file system?
>>
>> >From my observation, it takes about 2 years from the initial work on a
>> new filesystem until it's relatively stable, so I don't know why we would
>> suddenly decide to go that direction.
>>
>> mcl

Assuming, for the moment, that there is no other support behind ZFS, I
don't see why one would want to remove it from FreeBSD. It fills a
useful gap, as far as filesystems on FreeBSD go, and if it came down
to it, atleast for the foreseeable future, it would be worth
supporting alone. It's not like anyone thinks FreeBSD should toss out
UFS2, just because not many other OSes use it. The same holds true for
DTrace. It's useful to have, Solaris or no Solaris.

OpenSolaris dying shouldn't have a big impact on where FreeBSD goes
with these tools, as long as they continue to be useful for the
community and the developers, and aren't hampering development
elsewhere.