Re: wpa_supplicant gets points for trying, I suppose....

From: Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 19:35:14 +0100
On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 19:06, Garrett Cooper <gcooper_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

>>> Next time I booted stable/8, I checked /var/log/messages, and verified
>>> that wpa_supplicant is also persistent in that environment.
>>>
>>> So I did the above within script(1); I've attached a copy of the
>>> typescript file.  This was done while running:
>>>
>>> FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #20 r214672: Tue Nov  2 04:19:13 PDT 2010
>>
>> Thanks. I had quick look into that and I currently do not see an easy
>> way to address that issue, as in tell wpa_supplicant about the device's
>> state. This might change though once a newer wpa_supplicant has been
>> imported.
>>
>> For now just add wpa_supplicant_flags="-qqqq" to rc.conf.
>
>    Device states could and should be periodically polled via the
> SIOCGIFMEDIA ioctl, but currently isn't (even in the CURRENT version
> of wpa_supplicant). This seems like a worthy enhancement.

Not necessarily, we have a event based facility for that, the functions
are empty though because the consumer, wpa_supplicant, is not able to
make any use of it. There were some changes in 0.7 for interface states
but I'm not sure what exactly changed, it might be possible to use
events for the 'rfkill on' case, the 'rfkill off' might still need
polling..

Once Rui has imported the new wpa stuff, someone should implemented
the proper calls :)

--
Bernhard