Re: make installworld fails

From: Garrett Cooper <gcooper_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 11:36:05 -0800
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:39 AM, AN <andy_at_neu.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010, AN wrote:
>>

>>> Trying to installworld on 9-current AMD64, and it fails with:
>>>
>>> install -o root -g wheel -m 444
>>> /usr/src/share/info/../../contrib/tzdata//zone.tab /usr/share/zoneinfo/
>>> Updating /etc/localtime
>>> tzsetup: illegal option -- r
>>> usage:tzsetup [-ns]
>>> ***Error code 1
>>>
>>> Stop in /usr/src/share/zoneinfo.
>>>
>>> (above was transcribed from console)
>>>
>>> Anyone else seeing this?  Is there a fix
>>>
>>> Csup from last night.
>>
>> We have seen similar tzsetup errors in installworld in the past.  Is your
>> build environment unusual in any way (cross-building, DESTDIR set, etc.)?
>>
>> -Ben Kaduk
>>

> Nothing unusual, standard plain install.  I used an image from
> http://pub.allbsd.org/FreeBSD-snapshots/ downloaded about 2 or 3 days ago.
>
> Used standard procedure:
>
> csup
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel
> make install kernel
> make installworld (single user mode)

(CCing edwin_at_)

There might be a handful of other apps that don't work when upgrading
from major version to major version (config; the way to work around
this particular issue is to execute:

cd /usr/src
make -C usr.sbin/tzsetup all install

This should be fixed in the share/zoneinfo Makefile (but might be
tricky with cross-builds); producing an UPDATING entry to document the
breakage might be good enough.

Thanks,
-Garrett