Re: libdialog strangeness after source upgrade to head/9.0BETA1

From: Kevin Oberman <kob6558_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 13:17:21 -0700
On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 3:05 AM, Jakub Lach <jakub_lach_at_mailplus.pl> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I svn-switched my 8-STABLE to head, and
> upgrade went reasonable well.
>
> (9-STABLE will be my preferred/final
> destination, but test boots with BETA1
> img stick looked problem free enough
> to start messing early.)
>
> While recreating ports, only real glitch was
> that apparently pkg_cleanup is not yet 9
> ready, but I commented BROKEN line and
> it seemed to work normally anyway.
>
> After all ports were recreated, I booted to
> X, and tried to run pkg_cleanup again, only
> this time pressing return ended dialog, so I
> couldn't check/ uncheck any boxes.
>
> At first I thought this is why it's marked
> BROKEN on 9, but apparently make config
> has the same symptoms.
>
> that is,
>
> - pressing return ends dialog
>
> Any ideas what I have screwed up
> (starting from scratch not counting)
> ?

I think this behavior (already in several Linux distros) is really far more
intuitive that the old FreeBSD version, but it is a bit disconcerting at
first. It really does not take much to get used to and I think anyone who
is either new to Unix or familiar with most Linux distros will be far less
confused.

For the record,  you change options with <SPC> and <ENTER> accepts
the current action button; usually "OK" or "Cancel". <TAB> moves
between action buttons.

Maybe we need to add a screen at the start of the installation warning that
dialog behavior has changed.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558_at_gmail.com