Re: CVS removal from the base

From: Daniel Eischen <deischen_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 08:36:39 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 5 Dec 2011, Julian Elischer wrote:

> On 12/4/11 9:21 PM, Daniel Eischen wrote:

>>> my suggestion is that the 'sysports' or 'foundation ports'  or
>>> 'basic ports', (or whatever you want to call them) in their package
>>> form come with the standard install in fact I'd suggest that they
>>> get installed into some directory by default so that 'enabling' them
>>> ata later time doesn't even have to fetch them to do the pkg_add.
>>>
>>> They have pre-installed entries in /etc/defaults/rc.conf. and only their
>>> rc,d
>>> files need to beinstalled into /etc along with their program files.
>>> They are as close to being as they are now with the exception of
>>> being installed in the final step instead of at the same time as the rest
>>> of the stuff,
>>> and it allows them to easily be 'deinstalled' and replaced by newer
>>> versions.
>> I really don't understand how this is much different than having them exist
>> in base.  We have WITHOU_foo (I don't really care if that were to become
>> WITH_foo if we want to default to a more minimum system), so one can always
>> use ports if they want some different version of foo.  And it's not just
>> releases we care about, we want a stable foo (BIND for example) with
>> security and bug fixes throughout all updates to -stable, not just at
>> releases.
>>
>> I want to do one buildworld and have a complete and integrated system.  I
>> don't see how having a separate repo for sysports helps; it is yet another
>> thing I have to track.  And are ports in sysports going to default to being
>> installed in / or /usr/local?
>
> I think there are several differences..
> 1/ The ability to UNINSTALL it and replace it completely with a differnet
> version

If we go to a complete pkg-based system, then there is no difference
here, so why not do that?

> 2/ allow easy leave-out   feature..  leaving it out is less risky..

WITH_FOO/WITHOUT_FOO vs pkg_delete, not sure there is much
of a difference.  The advantage of WITH/WITHOUT is that the
system is built as a whole and integrated.  src/ developers
are suppose to not break src/; they may not be so inclined
to worry about sysports.  Will emphasis be put on src/ developers
to include sysports in their "buildworld" and will tinderboxes
also include sysports?

> 3/ probably the most important.. allowing both ports and src developers to
> work on the packages.

Give ports maintainers that maintain BIND, FOO, access
to src/ (which they probably have already).

--
DE