TODOs for suspend/resume (Re: Cosmetic path to bsdinstall)

From: Jung-uk Kim <jkim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 17:25:32 -0500
On Thursday 24 February 2011 04:53 pm, Brandon Gooch wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2011, at 2:44 PM, Bruce Cran <bruce_at_cran.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 15:38:15 -0500
> >
> > Jung-uk Kim <jkim_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >> FYI, I've been using the following hack for a while now:
> >>
> >> http://people.freebsd.org/~jkim/ada_suspend.diff
> >
> > Thanks, I'd given up trying to fix this because I was under the
> > impression it needed newbus. I'll see if I can get something
> > similar committed so at least another part of suspend/resume
> > works.
> >
> > I think someone mentioned there was documentation somewhere that
> > was going to be put on the Wiki about what needs done in order to
> > get suspend/resume working properly. Does anyone know where that
> > might be?
> >
> > --
> > Bruce Cran
>
> I'd also be interested in reading about this, as I often field
> questions from my colleagues...

I am not aware of such documentation.

Mostly the problem is in device drivers.  Someone should start a list
of misbehaving device drivers first if needed.  However, it is not
easy because several layers are involved, i.e., bus drivers (acpi,
isa, pci, usb, ...) and their children (acpi_video, atkbdc, ath,
ums...) and we don't know for sure what's to blame.

Also, many complaints are related to GPU issues.  Currently, we rely
on simple VGA registers or VESA BIOS (if vesa.ko is loaded) but many
modern GPUs simply don't care about these any more.  So, we need
GPU-specific drivers (as Linux does it via KMS nowadays).  The only
workaround for these problems is using X.org with "right" device
drivers ATM.

Jung-uk Kim