Re: FreeBSD 9.0 amd64 RC1 and KDE4

From: Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 12:05:06 -0400
On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 4:55 AM, Alberto Villa <avilla_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 27 October 2011 02:34:11 Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> > In a message previously I mentioned the KDE4 problem for 8.2 amd64
> Release
> > , but that message even did not receive a single reply .
>
> Things just may get lost, sorry.
>
> > Install X .
> > Install KDE4 .
> > Login to console .
> > Without an .xinitrc file , and unmodified /etc/ttys file , execute
> startx .
> > ( Do not start KDE4 directly . )
> > In right xterm window of X , execute /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde
> > ( /usr/local/kde4/bin is not in path definition ) .
>
> Done.
>
> > Then , I do not know , but , even this will supply much information
> about
> > what is going problematic . Correction of first displayed errors and
> > continuing in that way , will solve the problems one by one .
>
> I see several kinds of messages:
> - kcheckrunning not found in PATH... this can indeed be fixed, and I'll do
> it, but it's harmless;
> - logs of activity... they're expected;
> - the KSharedDataCache one, "ensure this partition...", is harmless (I'll
> patch kdelibs to hide this as it's causing a lot of misunderstandings...
> and maybe I'll just make it work on 9.x and 10.x);
> - messages about Soprano/Akonadi/Virtuoso not being started... I guess
> it's because they still have to start, and sure enough they disappear
> after a while, and Akonadi/Nepomuk seem to work;
> - X errors... well, they're due to my driver.
>
> Apart from this, Plasma Desktop starts successfully, Amarok can play
> music... In short, my session is fully restored. Apart from KWin, but a
> kwin
> --replace would be needed for this.
>
> > If KDE4 is starting directly , during waiting after display of hard disk
> > symbol , discontinuation of X with Ctrl-Alt-F1 will reveal some
> messages ,
> > but last ones . Therefore , the above method is better than that
> second
> > method .
>
> I don't understand what "starting directly" means. Anyway, if you see
> the same messages, there's nothing wrong here as well.
> --
> Alberto Villa, FreeBSD committer <avilla_at_FreeBSD.org>
> http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla

"Starting directly" KDE4 means , inserting into ~/.xinitrc , the statement

exec  /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde

and then use

startx

after login in the console .

The problem caused by the messages is at least the time used to generate
them .

Starting of KDE4 or its parts are taking a long time with respect to other
system KDE4 start up times which is actually unacceptable or unusable .

( My ADSL line was broken at the ISP side since October , 27 . Today it has
started to work .  )

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk