Re: no X after installing xorg + xfce

From: Antonio Olivares <olivares14031_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:02:16 -0500
On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I have no Xorg.conf file as it is not needed anymore.  I tried to rebuild it,
>>> # Xorg -configure
>>
>> xorg.conf isn't "needed" in case you wish to rely purely on xorg's and
>> HAL's autodetection (this is a perfectly bad idea), and if you do not
>> need to change any single xorg option from defaults (this would be very
>> strange in my book).
>>
>> There are tons of manuals on the Internet detailing how to write a
>> proper xorg configuration file (it even has its own man page - man
>> xorg.conf) and as with any properly configured software - it pays off.
>>

>>> process hangs and returns colors on the screen :(
>>
>> Autodetection blows. You will have to write your configuration manually.
>>

>>> I can't attach Xorg.0.log, I know which driver to use, as I have X
>>> working correctly with Linux(Slackware) on that same machine[another
>>> hard drive].  It is just that I have no way of saving logs or posting
>>> information without taking a picture, I would to put all doubts away.
>>
>> Honestly, I really don't understand the "I can't attach Xorg.log"
>> wording.
>>
>> It's a physical log file, just a regular file. How is it that you cannot
>> copy it from the particular machine/hard drive/filesystem and put it
>> someplace on the Internet, or paste the relevant parts inline in one of
>> the emails?
>>

>>> As of know I will rebuild world, install new kernel remove all ports
>>> and start from scratch.  If I can't get it to work with a fresh start.
>>
>> There's really nothing wrong with your ports and you'll be only wasting
>> your time with this generic and pointless "Windows-style reinstall
>> everything" procedure, without actually looking at the issue itself.
>>
>> The other poster(s) already told you. If you need any help, you will
>> have to provide error messages, you will have to provide error logs (and
>> you will have to properly configure your xorg, because as you already
>> noticed, autodetection clearly doesn't work the way you expect it to).
>>

>>>  I will wait for BETA 3 or an RC :)  I just want to help in testing,
>>> it is that I can't supply the information as I would like to :(
>>
>> I can 100% guarantee that BETA3 nor RC won't change anything in regard
>> to the issue you're experiencing. Your problem lies elsewhere and you
>> didn't even start systematically investigating it.
>
>    Newb hacker tip number one: try CTRL-ALT-F1 when you get the
> technicolor screen. If your system isn't hosed then you'll get the
> first tty.

I do know this, before it was CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE and now it is
CTRL + ALT + F1 :)  I am not exactly a ``newbie'' but I am not an
``expert'' as I am still learning :)

system was not hosed, 'nv' driver was not getting it done :(  It is
old and unmaintained anymore.

>    The only time I can think of where /var/log/Xorg.0.log wouldn't be
> populated with something useful is if the kernel module livelocks
> talking to the card and/or fsck takes out the file on the next reboot
> because it was in use.
>    And yes Michal is right, IIRC. 64-bit drivers didn't exist on that version.
>    Just try this file and get back to us please with something more
> useful than "it doesn't work". Otherwise we can't help you .
> -Garrett

Garrett & all,

I have X working :)  Used nvidia-driver, as specified in FreeBSD howto
(handbook page).  changed 'nv' to 'nvidia', added nvidia_enable="YES"
to /etc/rc.conf and now X works.  I am loading more software that is
needed and I will post back from that machine.  I followed
instructions here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html

I ran makeworld and it did make ``a world of a difference'' and now i
have X.  I am compiling openjdk on it and I will build more software
that is needed for work.

Thanks to all for helping.

Regards,

Antonio