Re: Request for testing - mfiutil(8) patch

From: Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:04:31 -0700
On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 7:38 AM, Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> Mfiutil(8) is a commandline management tool for RAID controllers
> supported by the mfi(4) driver.  I have a couple of changes to the way
> battery back up unit (BBU) state is reported and I would like to request
> testing from any mfi(4) users who are able to try my patch.
>
> If you're able to test it for me please grab the modified source tarball
> from http://people.freebsd.org/~emaste/mfiutil.tar and build the patched
> mfiutil.  Then send me the output of "mfiutil show battery" for both the
> stock and patched mfiutil, as well as the controller model number and
> the type of back up unit (none, battery, or supercap).
>
> (If you're running CURRENT already and want just the patch, it is at
> http://people.freebsd.org/~emaste/patches/mfi_show.c.diff .)

1. It properly detects "no battery" when I tried to use a "new"
battery with an incompatible daughter board (the firmware in the
MegaRAID BIOS reported it was missing):

# ./mfiutil show battery
mfi0: No battery present

2. With the busted battery:

# mfiutil show battery
status = 0x0000
mfi0: Battery State:
     Manufacture Date: 9/19/2009
        Serial Number: 1022
         Manufacturer: LS1111001B
                Model: 3598301
            Chemistry: LION
      Design Capacity: 1215 mAh
 Full Charge Capacity: 417 mAh
     Current Capacity: 404 mAh
        Charge Cycles: 59
       Current Charge: 97%
       Design Voltage: 3700 mV
      Current Voltage: 4048 mV
          Temperature: 30 C
Firmware status: 0c00
 normal

Please note that this is what the controller firmware says about the battery:

mfi0: 36830 (boot + 4s/0x0008/info) - Battery Present
mfi0: 36831 (boot + 4s/0x0008/FATAL) - Battery has failed and cannot
support data retention. Please replace the battery
mfi0: 36842 (boot + 27s/0x0008/WARN) - BBU disabled; changing WB
virtual disks to WT

3. With the new battery, properly installed, BBU learn in progress:

# mfiutil show adapter
mfi0 Adapter:
    Product Name: MegaRAID SAS 8704ELP
   Serial Number: P391734409
        Firmware: 11.0.1-0042
     RAID Levels: JBOD, RAID0, RAID1, RAID5, RAID6, RAID10, RAID50
  Battery Backup: not present
           NVRAM: 32K
  Onboard Memory: 128M
  Minimum Stripe: 8k
  Maximum Stripe: 1M

I'll provide the last output once it's done relearning. My test patch
can be found here as a reference (please note that the #if 0 stuff was
stuff I was testing from the Linux megaraid driver that doesn't appear
to work), including your change: http://pastebin.com/ZMac0T53

Some of the states like MFI_BBU_STATE_DISCHARGE_ACTIVE don't make
sense in mfiutil because they overlap with other BBU states, and thus
can't be distinguished from one another.

Thanks!
-Garrett

PS This resolves the PR I filed at least (bin/160581).