Re: no X after installing xorg + xfce

From: Michal Varga <varga.michal_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 19:32:27 +0200
On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 12:02 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> >    Newb hacker tip number one: try CTRL-ALT-F1 when you get the
> > technicolor screen. If your system isn't hosed then you'll get the
> > first tty.
>
> I do know this, before it was CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE and now it is
> CTRL + ALT + F1 :)  I am not exactly a ``newbie'' but I am not an
> ``expert'' as I am still learning :)

Those two are very different kinds of beasts. CTRL+ALT+Fx is an
xf86/xorg substitute for the regular ALT+Fx (console switching), so that
ALT+Fx can be still used within X applications.

On the other hand, CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE is a "zap" command, that will let
you instantly kill a currently running X server. Note that in more
recent versions of xorg (incl. 7.5), CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE is disabled by
default. To get it working again, you will need to setup xorg.conf with
at least:

Section "ServerLayout"
  Identifier    "Main Layout"
[...]
  InputDevice   "Main Keyboard"         "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
[...]
  Option        "DontZap"               "False"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier    "Main Keyboard"
  Driver        "kbd"
  Option        "XkbOptions"            "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
EndSection

> Garrett & all,
>
> I have X working :)  Used nvidia-driver, as specified in FreeBSD howto
> (handbook page).  changed 'nv' to 'nvidia', added nvidia_enable="YES"
> to /etc/rc.conf and now X works.  I am loading more software that is

That's good to hear. Congratulations.

m.

--
Michal Varga,