Re: FreeBSD development audio system: KLANG

From: Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 09:57:21 +0300
O. Hartmann wrote:
> A few days ago, I stumbled into sthis at Phoronix:
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE1NzY
>
> KLANG is supposed to be an exchange audio system for the kernel,
> replacing several userland backed systems. Phoronix also claims this
> approach is supposed to support the FreeBSD kernel and yes, I'd like to
> see something been developed not even for Linux these days.
>
> On the website of KLANG, located here,
>
> http://klang.eudyptula.org/
>
> I couldn't find much of information regarding FreeBSD.
>
> But I'd like to draw attention towards this for FreeBSD people, if they
> didn't already have noticed. It is like in science - no spreading of
> informations makes it hard to discover what's going on ...

I think the main problems with this one would be:

1. It's targeted at fixing Linux bugs, not FreeBSD ones. FreeBSD sound
system had in-kernel virtual channel mixing support for years.

2. It's claiming very spurious tasks like adding full audio routing
support like JACK does. I personally think that most users doesn't need
it and I can't really say who and how will benefit of this.

3. What drivers would be supported? FreeBSD OSS and ALSA still have
working support for Aureal Vortex despite those ones were already
dropped at OSS4. How long it will take to support at least 50% of
hardware list?

4. Where is source?

Anyway, good luck to them.

--