Re: looking for help from ppp users

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 16:14:50 +1030
On 03/12/2012, at 13:52, Eitan Adler <lists_at_eitanadler.com> wrote:
> On 2 December 2012 21:43, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au> wrote:
> I've marked the appropriate sections as red on the
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/ThwackAFAQ page.  Should I mark the rest green
> or were they unreviewed?  Either way the feedback so far will be taken
> into account.

I eyeballed all of the PPP FAQ entries and I couldn't find anything else wrong. I didn't try them though and only relied on my memory.

For 14.17 and 14.23 I didn't really know about the gory details so I just assumed it was correct..

>> I would also add a section about MTU - I expect the dominant use case for PPP is ADSL these days. In this case the MTU is usually limited to 1492 bytes (1500 byte ethernet frame minus PPP framing overhead). If all ICMP is blocked at some part of the link then packet fragmentation doesn't work properly and you end up with symptoms like interactive SSH logins work but bulk SCP or FTPs don't.
>
> I've added this to http://wiki.freebsd.org/NewFAQs
>
>> I hope that helps!
>
> It was very useful - thank you!  Myself, or another volunteer should
> get to them in due time.  At the moment I'm just trying to get triage
> done.

OK thanks for your efforts!

BTW I see the serial port section is similarly stale (it still mentions sio instead of uart) and as the wiki page says, it doesn't mention any USB to RS232 adapters (which are likely to be what most people see on modern systems).

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum