Re: [CFT]hwpmc update for sandybridge-e

From: Jim Harris <jim.harris_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 11:41:05 -0700
On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 5:49 PM, hiren panchasara
<hiren.panchasara_at_gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

> Thanks Fabien for getting back quickly. As I am not clear about uncore
> support, I've removed it entirely as you suggested. I've tried to
> incorporate other comments too.
>
> New set of diffs,  pmccontrol and pmctest.py results are here:
>
> http://www.strugglingcoder.info/patches/hwpmc_sbx_2.txt
> http://www.strugglingcoder.info/patches/pmccontrol_2.txt
> http://www.strugglingcoder.info/patches/pmctestpy_2.txt
>
> I now have following event counters failing from pmctest.py script:
>
> CYCLE_ACTIVITY.CYCLES_L2_PENDING
> BACLEARS.ANY
> L2_TRANS.DEMAND_DATA_RD
> L2_TRANS.RF0
> SQ_MISC.SPLIT_LOCK

Hi Hiren,

With your patch, I see different event counters failing on my SNB Xeon system:

CYCLE_ACTIVITY.CYCLES_L2_PENDING - this is due to missing IAP_F_FM
which Fabien already pointed out.  There are 5 total that need this
added - this one is the only one that fails from the pmctest.py script
because it's the only one with bit 0 set (IAP_M_CORE) in its flags
which causes a hard pmc_allocation failure.
MEM_LOAD_UOPS_LLC_MISS_RETIRED.LOCAL_DRAM - this is due to adding this
event to the SNB Xeon event list in the header file, but IAP_F_SBX is
missing from the associated IAPDESCR for D3H_01H  in hwpmc_core.c.

It's not clear to me why you are seeing failures on those other
events.  Maybe make sure libpmc/pmcstat/pmccontrol/hwpmc are all in
sync?

Thanks for working on this!

Regards,

-Jim