Re: patch to add AES intrinsics to gcc

From: Bernhard Fröhlich <decke_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 11:58:54 +0200
I don't know if you are aware that IF you really do that we will have serious
problems to ship packages for 10. USE_GCC=any is the fallback in the
portstree for all ports that are unable to build with clang which was introduced
when HEAD switched to clang as default cc. Right now there are 150 ports in
the tree that use this fallback and quite a few of them are high profile ports:

the highlights:
audio/nas devel/mingw32-binutils emulators/qemu emulators/virtualbox-ose
emulators/wine lang/go lang/v8 mail/courier math/fftw3 multimedia/libxine
multimedia/gstreamer multimedia/gstreamer-plugins multimedia/x264
security/clamav

the full list:
http://dpaste.com/1354075/

A possible hack could be to add a check for USE_GCC=any to behave like
a USE_GCC=yes on HEAD on the affected platforms. This pulls in lang/gcc
from ports for a lot of people on HEAD I suppose.

We certainly need to do that switch to remove the ancient gcc from base
some time but with my portmgr hat on I can only say we don't plan to do that
before 10.0 especially not if we are only talking about a few weeks time window.

--
Bernhard Froehlich
http://www.bluelife.at/