Re: problem after installkernel going from 9.0 to CURRENT

From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk_at_MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 13:57:08 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 2 Jan 2013, Robert Huff wrote:

> 	(While this may not be a strictly CURRENT issue, I asked on
> questions_at_, but have not found a solution.)
>
> 	Situation:
> 	One of my boxes failed, and for various reasons it became easier to
> just scrub and rebuild it. Like its predecessor it will run CURRENT
> 	1) Using BSDinstall, I flushed then created the first disk:
>
> ada2p1	freebsd-boot	128k
> ada2p2	freebsd-swap	4g
> ada2p3	freebsd-ufs	25g
>
> 	(There are non-bootable disks at ada0, -1, and -3.)

For a full clean install, I believe that bsdinstall should prompt about
installing bootcode around here.  I don't really understand from your
procedure how bsdinstall was used; there might be some edge case where
there is no prompt about bootcode.

> 	2) Installed off the 9.0 CD, got it up and running, everything was
> good.
> 	3) Used csup (tag=.) to update the source tree as of 00:01 on 12/30.
> 	4a) Built world - OK.
> 	4b) Build kernel - OK.
> 	4c) Ran mergemaster - OK.
> 	4d) Installed kernel - OK.
> 	5) On rebooting, the loader(??) claims to not be able to find a
> bootable partition - i.e. I get a screen that ends in "mountroot > ".
> Providing the presumptive value by hand returns "error 19".
> 	6) Boot using installation CD and use "gpart show" to double check
> device names and partitions; everything looks good.
> 	7) Try normal booting again, no go.
>
> 	This is my first time installing to a completely GPT partitioned
> system, and I have (obviously) failed to grok something.  I checked
> src/UPDATING and found nothing which covered this.
> 	What have I bungled, and how do I fix it?

I think you should investigate the 'bootcode' subcommand of gpart(8).

-Ben Kaduk