Re: problem after installkernel going from 9.0 to CURRENT

From: Robert Huff <roberthuff_at_rcn.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 18:23:06 -0500
On 1/3/2013 11:40 AM, Warren Block wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2013, Robert Huff wrote:
>
>>     (While this may not be a strictly CURRENT issue, I asked on
>> questions_at_, but have not found a solution.)
>>
>>     Situation:
>>     One of my boxes failed, and for various reasons it became easier
>> to just scrub and rebuild it. Like its predecessor it will run CURRENT
>>     1) Using BSDinstall, I flushed then created the first disk:
>>
>> ada2p1    freebsd-boot    128k
>> ada2p2    freebsd-swap    4g
>> ada2p3    freebsd-ufs    25g
>>
>>     5) On rebooting, the loader(??) claims to not be able to find a
>> bootable partition - i.e. I get a screen that ends in "mountroot > ".
>> Providing the presumptive value by hand returns "error 19".
>
> It really does not sound like a GPT problem, because 9.0 booted.

	I don't (at the moment) think it's GPT caused; but I do think it may be
GPT related.

>								  The
> -current kernel can't find/detect the device.  Scrolling back in the
> console buffer might find a problem.  buildworld/kernel/installworld do
> not affect the disk partitioning, but can change the code that looks for
> those partitions.

	Exactly.  I'm looking for help figuring out how the hand-off from
loader to kernel got broken and what I have to do to fix it.
	One possibility: I believe I labeled each of the partitions during the
gpt creation process.  Can I use those labels to (hopefully) by-pass
this issue?

			Robert Huff