Re: problem after installkernel going from 9.0 to CURRENT

From: Kevin Oberman <kob6558_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 17:32:29 -0800
On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM, Robert Huff <roberthuff_at_rcn.com> wrote:
> On 1/2/2013 1:57 PM, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 2 Jan 2013, Robert Huff wrote:
>

>> For a full clean install, I believe that bsdinstall should prompt about
>> installing bootcode around here.  I don't really understand from your
>> procedure how bsdinstall was used; there might be some edge case where
>> there is no prompt about bootcode.
>>
>>>     2) Installed off the 9.0 CD, got it up and running, everything was
>>> good.
>

>         Let me elaborate on this:
>
>         2) Installed off the 9.0 CD, had a fully bootable system connected
> to the Internet, everything was good.
>

>> I think you should investigate the 'bootcode' subcommand of gpart(8).
>

>         Does the above change things?
>         It was my expectation "installkernel" would Do The Right Thing with
> respect to new bootcode, and I am surprised it did not.

installkernel does absolutely nothing to the boot partition. You need
to use bsdinstall or gpart to write the new image to disk.

That said, I know of no reason that the boot code written by the 9.0
install would fail to boot head. I am running 9.1 on a GPT disk and it
works fine, but I that disk is ada1 and I have booteasy installed on
the MBR of ada0. It has no problems booting the 9.1 system. (Windows 7
in on ada0.) Then again, I am hardly an expert on the subject.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558_at_gmail.com