Re: [HEADSUP] No more pkg_install on HEAD by default

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 15:43:25 -0700
On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Teske, Devin <Devin.Teske_at_fisglobal.com>wrote:

> I assume that poudiere builds packages from ports.

Yes.

>  That's not how we build package repositories here (and would expect that
> there are many more like us).

How do you build packages if you are not using FreeBSD ports?  Do you have
your own Makefiles which resemble FreeBSD ports,
or are you doing something completely different?

>  We expect to start with an empty directory, go grab packages that we
> want (one by one) from FTP. Then put those tarballs into a directory.
> There's no additional step because we download the INDEX file to the
> repository too. Local repository is built.

What FTP site are you grabbing packages from, the FreeBSD ftp site (or
mirrors) or one of your own?
How are you generating the INDEX file?  Do you append to the INDEX file for
every package which you sucessfully download from FTP,
or are you downloading a previously generated INDEX file?  What does your
local repository of packages consist of if you are
not using FreeBSD ports?

>  But I want bsdconfig to work with local repositories without having
> poudriere.

You don't have to use poudriere to build a package repository.  It is just
an optional tool that
is there for you to try out, and it works quite well when building a package
repository based off of FreeBSD ports.  If you don't want to use it, you
don't have to.

>  I think so too. But right now a *lot* of unanswered questions.

Possibly, but I think that you are supporting a workflow that people on
this mailing list
don't fully understand.   If you could send out a separate e-mail
describing exactly what your workflow is, step-by-step, that might help you
get better answers
to your questions.   The FreeBSD ports team has been migrating to pkgng
for the past few years, so a lot of people understand the FreeBSD
ports/packages workflow.
because it has been discussed for a few years on multiple mailing lists, and
at various BSD conferences like BSDCan.

Some of the confusion with others on this list is that you are working on
a tool called "bsdconfig" and committing it into FreeBSD-CURRENT,
but the workflow you are trying to support is slightly different than what
the FreeBSD ports/packages teams have been supporting and adapting
their tools and workflow towards.

I think that if you better describe your workflow in a separate e-mail,
then folks can better recommend how to adapt bsdconfig
to the new pkg tools.  You may need to be open to using
things like libpkg inside bsdconfig, if that is the best solution for
bsdconfig inside FreeBSD.

I agree with you that having a pkgng transition document on the wiki
would be useful for systems integrators.  I know that many
people build products based on FreeBSD and leverage the pkg_XXX tools
for building their own products.  I have done this myself in the past.
Clarifying the transition path for system integrators would be very helpful.
Maybe you can help write the transition doc, since you have the perspective?

--
Craig