Re: [HEADSUP] No more pkg_install on HEAD by default

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 15:30:57 +0800
On 7/15/13 6:43 AM, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Teske, Devin <Devin.Teske_at_fisglobal.com>wrote:
>

>> I assume that poudiere builds packages from ports.
>>
> Yes.
>

>>   That's not how we build package repositories here (and would expect that
>> there are many more like us).
>>
> How do you build packages if you are not using FreeBSD ports?  Do you have
> your own Makefiles which resemble FreeBSD ports,
> or are you doing something completely different?
>

>>   We expect to start with an empty directory, go grab packages that we
>> want (one by one) from FTP. Then put those tarballs into a directory.
>> There's no additional step because we download the INDEX file to the
>> repository too. Local repository is built.
>>
> What FTP site are you grabbing packages from, the FreeBSD ftp site (or
> mirrors) or one of your own?
> How are you generating the INDEX file?  Do you append to the INDEX file for
> every package which you sucessfully download from FTP,
> or are you downloading a previously generated INDEX file?  What does your
> local repository of packages consist of if you are
> not using FreeBSD ports?
>

>>   But I want bsdconfig to work with local repositories without having
>> poudriere.
>>

> You don't have to use poudriere to build a package repository.  It is just
> an optional tool that
> is there for you to try out, and it works quite well when building a package
> repository based off of FreeBSD ports.  If you don't want to use it, you
> don't have to.
>

>>   I think so too. But right now a *lot* of unanswered questions.
>>

> Possibly, but I think that you are supporting a workflow that people on
> this mailing list
> don't fully understand.   If you could send out a separate e-mail
> describing exactly what your workflow is, step-by-step, that might help you
> get better answers
> to your questions.   The FreeBSD ports team has been migrating to pkgng
> for the past few years, so a lot of people understand the FreeBSD
> ports/packages workflow.
> because it has been discussed for a few years on multiple mailing lists, and
> at various BSD conferences like BSDCan.

What's so difficult to understand? He has a local cache, populated "as
needed"
from the binary packages released with the FreeBSD release, from the
freebsd ftp site..
(He can as a supliment also add versions compiled by himself in the
case of
security fixes etc. but that isn't required for 99% of the packages.

BSDinstall wants dependency information (currently availabele from the
INDEX files)
to display to the user what he will get)